#1 [url]

Nov 21 09 1:58 PM

QUOTE (sportsman @ November 21, 2009 04:53 pm)
Does anyone know when the brackets for the NEA tourney will be available?

I think it is usually sometime after the pre holiday tournament and that is not till the first week in December for the boys.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 21 09 7:13 PM

QUOTE (sportsman @ November 21, 2009 10:53 am)
Does anyone know when the brackets for the NEA tourney will be available?

You mean the Jonesboro Invitational. I liked that name. I don't remember who came up with it last year.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 21 09 10:09 PM

Well I heard 1 team that will not be in it this year. Someone told me that they kicked Turrell out of the tourny. I think this is a total lack of respect and lack of dignity by those in charge. This is possibly their last year and you don't even give them a chance to defend their title. I understand that some people are scared by them being in the tournament that it lessens their chance to win it, but to do this to those young men is an outrage. And the girls always give their best effort and play hard. Both teams always come to this tourny and show the utmost respect for everyone around them.

To those in charge did you not learn anything from the Lamar/AAA case. I feel this is an unjustice being done. If anyone else on here agrees you need to let your administrators and coaches who are on the board for this tourny and tell them to rethink what they have done.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 22 09 12:58 AM

QUOTE (executioner9 @ November 22, 2009 04:09 am)
Well I heard 1 team that will not be in it this year. Someone told me that they kicked Turrell out of the tourny. I think this is a total lack of respect and lack of dignity by those in charge. This is possibly their last year and you don't even give them a chance to defend their title. I understand that some people are scared by them being in the tournament that it lessens their chance to win it, but to do this to those young men is an outrage. And the girls always give their best effort and play hard. Both teams always come to this tourny and show the utmost respect for everyone around them.

To those in charge did you not learn anything from the Lamar/AAA case. I feel this is an unjustice being done. If anyone else on here agrees you need to let your administrators and coaches who are on the board for this tourny and tell them to rethink what they have done.

I hadn't heard of this.We are from Bay and play Turrell several times a year.They are the team that eliminated us from the NEA last year.We have never had a bit of trouble playing turrell.They always bring all they got and play to win.No problem with that.Coach Major seems to be a great guy.If people are scared to play them then they don't know what it takes to get ready for state tournament time.The old saying is "Iron sharpens iron." Meaning to be the best you have to beat the best. I hope that turrell is in the tournament.At any rate Turrell we look forward to playing you Monday night.It ought to be a good one.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 22 09 12:49 PM

QUOTE (executioner9 @ November 21, 2009 10:09 pm)

I'm calling BS on this one. I really doubt that NEA tournament committee is booting Turrell from the tournament. Even if it was true, it wouldn't be because of their talent level.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 22 09 11:10 PM

Make some calls and check the facts, they are out. I heard it from a reliable source. You can say what you want, but they are not in right now unless something changes. It might not be cause they are scared, but I was a little outraged when I heard this. But none the difference, it is not fair to the kids. It is bad enough you have trouble getting teams to play, then you have one who wants to play and you don't let them.

I will be at Bay Monday to see the game. Good Luck to both teams! It should be a barn burner.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Nov 24 09 4:35 PM

Turrell is out of the NEA because they failed to file their paperwork. I don't know why they can't still get in, since no brackets have been drawn up, but as of right now, they are out.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 24 09 4:52 PM

sounds like their is no reason to be outraged and no lack of respect. Also, they have not been kicked out of the tourney. They haven't sent in their paperwork to be in it.

This looks like a good example of how things get blown out of proportion in the rumor mill.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Nov 24 09 10:26 PM

I was told by Coach Major at Bay that the reason they are not in they were told it's because they don't draw enough revenue.Don't know how true or anything else about it just what I was told by the coach himself.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Nov 24 09 11:51 PM

Does it matter? How hard is it to let them play? The brackets have not been set so it does not seem like a big deal. I heard they sent paperwork in by fax and talked to the person in charge and at that time he had it. Now all of a sudden they don't have it and they are not in. As far as bringing revenue there are several teams whose fans don't travel well besides them. Last year I believe they had at least 1 if not almost 2 sections with people in it. The fact is they need to be and deserve to be in the tournament. They are the defending champions!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Nov 25 09 7:53 AM

QUOTE (BayMan1975 @ November 24, 2009 11:18 pm)
The coach told me at Bay about the paperwork.

If they didnt get the paperwork in on time; then thats their fault. RULES are Rules.
And I hope its b/c of this and not the reason Slim meationed.

Its never a bad time to practice freethrows......they win
ballgames.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Nov 25 09 11:41 AM

QUOTE (executioner9 @ November 24, 2009 11:51 pm)
Does it matter? How hard is it to let them play? The brackets have not been set so it does not seem like a big deal. I heard they sent paperwork in by fax and talked to the person in charge and at that time he had it. Now all of a sudden they don't have it and they are not in. As far as bringing revenue there are several teams whose fans don't travel well besides them. Last year I believe they had at least 1 if not almost 2 sections with people in it. The fact is they need to be and deserve to be in the tournament. They are the defending champions!

Respectfully, don't go by what you heard. Your original post said that you heard they were kicked out of the tourney(which apparently was not true). Let's wait and see what happens. I hope that they got all of their paperwork in and that they are playing. But if the tourney officials don't have it or didn't get it on time, then they may be out of luck. All tournaments have a lot of promotional stuff to deal with. Programs, scheduling around ASU activities, scheduling officials etc. It's a pretty big undertaking and all schools have to cooperate and be organized for it to happen.

I doubt very seriously that any of this has anything to do with revenue. Lots of schools don't bring enough fans to justify their participation based solely on revenue.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 29 09 12:19 AM

I would think as much as that tournament has been struggling to keep teams, that common sense would tell you that they ain't kickin nobody out and probably would go as far as to make several reminder calls to a team to help them get their paperwork in so that they could participate. The only schools that I know who aren't in have taken the opportunity to go to a tournament that makes practicing over Christmas break worth it and gives them at least 3 games. The NEA is about down to the size where they could restructure their format as well to make it a 3 guaranteed tourn as well.

Common sense tells me that the NEA Tourn committee didn't "kick" anyone out. I don't need evidence to figure that part out, especially a defending champ.

You can say something to popes, kings and presidents, but you can't talk to officials. In the next war they ought to give everyone a whistle.
-- Abe Lemmons (1977)
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-- Larry Bird

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 29 09 10:33 PM

Yea, just been keeping up with whats going on, but hoops season is when things start jumping on here it seems. So hows the daughter doing so far playing college hoops?

Watched Nettleton play the other night. Sad to hear that their stud transferred to JHS, but guessed that kinda thing was going to happen once Swift got there.

You can say something to popes, kings and presidents, but you can't talk to officials. In the next war they ought to give everyone a whistle.
-- Abe Lemmons (1977)
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-- Larry Bird

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Nov 30 09 6:15 AM

QUOTE (bearbait @ November 29, 2009 10:33 pm)
Yea, just been keeping up with whats going on, but hoops season is when things start jumping on here it seems. So hows the daughter doing so far playing college hoops?

Watched Nettleton play the other night. Sad to hear that their stud transferred to JHS, but guessed that kinda thing was going to happen once Swift got there.

I guess you can say the Swift era at JHS has officially begun.

Darling daughter has played in almost every game thus far. I think she's doing ok and the learning curve is pretty steep.BUt every minute of playing time helps.

Yeah, the boards did seem pretty dead during football season. But with Mickelson,Madden and Taylor back in the area, things shouls light up.

FAT City girls tournament this week at Nettleton. Some fine teams from west and central Arkansas coming in as well as W Mphs and Mphs Hillcrest and three delta teams.

3 days and 3 nights. ASU is away so I'll get to go to those. See you on the boards.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 30 09 1:46 PM

I have heard many times that teams are getting out of the NEA. That might be true to some degree in the upper classes, but in the last couple of years there has been about 25 teams in the small classification. That is a solid tournament to me. I agree having to go into Christmas break kind of not knowing how much a team will play around Christmas, but that is usually for those teams going to the Semi's. Teams losing in first and second rounds still get a good break before coming back.
I don't understand the talk about teams leaving when the small school bracket has over 20 teams in it. Might be different this year.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help